The Man-Making Blog is a practical and inspirational resource
for people interested in supporting our young males
on their journey to manhood.

September 23, 2020

Good Dads

The last post was about The Other Men, in a young man's life who had a powerful impact on their adult development. It was about the transformational power other good men can have in shaping a young male, even when there is a loving and engaged father. This post shares a slightly different story about how an elder blessing can positively change any man's life. For most men, there is an important job description or opportunity in this story.

Jesse V. sent this along for your consideration:
As a young, 27-year-old father myself, I was shopping in Trader Joe’s with my 3-year-old son. We’d just arrived, and the cart was empty. When I went to grab something from the shelf, I heard a large crash and saw my son under the cart. He had climbed onto the side of the cart, flipping it over. I immediately pulled the cart off and swept him into a hug. As my eyes were closed and as Jake’s head was on my left shoulder, I felt a large hand on my right shoulder. There in front of me is a man with white hair and beard and in a kind, deep voice, he says, “You’re a good father.” And like an apparition, he was gone.

"You’re a good father."

This meant so much to me because at the time I did not feel like a man and I had not dealt with my own father issues. That man was like a father in that moment, supporting his son. I was blessed by a stranger, but an older man in the community. It felt so good.



So, when you’re out there in public and see men being good fathers, or just doing something well... tell them. Don’t underestimate the power you have to positively affect the men in your community.

Your Man-Making Homework:
Today, or maybe tomorrow, catch a young man in your world doing something right and then honor him by naming it! Just that simple. Then notice how two male lives are transformed for the better!

An just in case you were interested in child safety, here's some online help for those who are challenged with keeping very young kids safe in grocery carts!



SUBSCRIBE: Enter your email address below to have the Man-Making Blog post delivered to you when published.


© Copyright 2005-2021 Earl Hipp. All Rights Reserved.
Sharing with attribution allowed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your response to this blog post is appreciated and welcome. Thanks!