The Man-Making Blog is a practical and inspirational resource
for people interested in supporting our young males
on their journey to manhood.

September 21, 2016

Boys, Tears, and Money



If this clip doesn't show up use this link.

I have been working with young males for more than fifteen years. Much of my time with boys has been spent within the Boys to Men Network. On many occasions, I've shed tears when witnessing the raw pain and courage of so many young men. On passage weekends or sitting in a school circle, I've heard countless boys share their stories of loss, abandonment, abuse, and family dysfunction. I've been a witness to their struggles to just cope in their complicated worlds of school, relationships, and the streets. I'm way biased, but just like the video showed, I believe a lot more of our boys need what these young men are getting.

. . . a lot more of our boys need
what these young men are getting.

I've also witnessed men's hearts be opened as a result of exposure to the vulnerability and brutal honesty of the young men they encounter in this work. While I know the adult male attention is good for the boys, this work also creates better men. I know I am a better man for my involvement.

Over the years in this blog, I've profiled lots of good and worthy groups of men who are showing up for boys in different ways. But in this post, I'm going to be a little selfish. I want you to know about two organizations that are very close to my heart. Because of my personal involvement, I know the impact on real lives these organizations are having. That's also why, for the first time in the history of this blog, I'm doing what is a little uncomfortable for me. I'm asking you to consider a financial donation.

The Desert Men's Council:The Desert Men's Council (DMC) in Tucson, AZ is where I give most of my time in schools and on outdoor adventures. DMC is holding their Annual Bike for Boys - Bike-A-Thon this Saturday. It is hoped this event will raise enough money to add at least two schools to the six we are already serving. Your donation, no matter what amount, WILL help this important work go forward. I know they need the money and I support them financially. If you're willing, here is the donation link. If you miss the Bike-A-Thon deadline, you can always donate on the DMC website or just give me a shout.

Boys to Men USA:Last fall I was part of a group of men from around the United States who formed Boys to Men USA. The fourteen community-based, USA centers, like DMC in Tucson, combined their experience and passion to form a national not-for-profit corporation. The goal of Boys to Men USA is to share best practices, standardize our offerings, and ultimately serve boys in even more communities.

This October the Boys to Men USA 2nd Annual Summit gathering will be held in Tucson, AZ. Because of the financial challenges of volunteer-based organizations, some of the centers are not able to send representatives to the Summit. If you want to help grow this evolving network of dedicated men, you can make a small donation on the Boys to Men USA GoFundMe page. Even small amounts will help, and be a vote of support.

If you're not able to support young guys directly,
. . . support the men who are . . .

You wouldn't still be reading if, at some level, you didn't hear a call to action, a call to help our young men. If you're not able to support young guys directly, you can support the men who are doing that work by making a small donation. I know every donation made to these two organizations will play a role in making a young man's life better.

Thanks!



SHARE: If you enjoy this blog, please click the Facebook "Share" button below to support the Man-Making Facebook page! (The button is only on the MM Blog, and not in subscription posts delivered by email.)


CONTACT: Send Earl a message. I'm very interested in your thoughts on any man-making post or topic. I'm available to help bring man-making initiatives to your community or organization.

SUBSCRIBE: If you're not yet a subscriber to the Man-Making Blog, and you'd like to receive these posts by email 3-4 times a month, use this link for a free subscription.

TWEET: Send this post along to your friends or follow me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your response to this blog post is appreciated and welcome. Thanks!