The Man-Making Blog is a practical and inspirational resource
for people interested in supporting our young males
on their journey to manhood.

December 23, 2007

A Man-Making Holiday Story?

As you well know, in this blog I am all about calling men into action in service to young males. From this perspective I see an enormous variety of approaches to both keeping boys out of trouble and launching them on the path toward a positive manhood. But every once in a while I come across a man who, on his own and through personally heroic efforts, simply heads out to do what needs to be done. One of those men is Mustafa Mahdi, the spiritual force behind The Rising Son, Inc. in Jonesboro, Georgia.

Mustafa caught fire 10 years ago at the Million Man March. He came back from that event on fire and started working with single parents and young men in his community. The result is The Rising Son Young Men's Development Center (therisingsoninc.org). Today, this organization, on a shoestring, is providing after school daycare, tutoring, mentoring, rites of passage events, a small summer “camp,” field trips, and lots of positive attention to many boys.

Mustafa was a contributor to my Man-Making book, and has been a my supporter for almost two years. I have profiled him previously in this blog as a man who, against incredible odds, is making THE important difference for many young males. If you want to learn about just how passionate one man can be about saving young guys, I highly recommend you read his most recent letter to me (at this link).

I’m telling you this because at this moment, The Rising Son, Inc. needs your financial help. While the details are in his letter at the link above, Mustafa needs to raise $5000 to keep the doors open into next year. There is rent coming due, an ailing 1985 van, more kids showing up, and he can no longer afford to make up the shortages from his personal income.

In the almost four years I’ve been doing this blog, I have never put out a request like this. I’m choosing to do so now because this is the season of faith, a time for gifting with an open heart, and because he is a very good man saving boys’ lives. Mustafa says, “It's very hard to let go of my dream to help the boys in our community.” I want to do what I can to help him hold on to that dream. Maybe you will too. Who knows, the Rising Son could become one of those holiday stories with a very happy outcome.

"No one can do everything, but everyone can do something"

The Rising Son, Inc.
Young Men's Development Center
6906 Tara Boulevard, Suite #9
Jonesboro, Georgia 30236
678) 933-9677


Feel free to email me with questions, and blessings on you and yours this holiday season.


Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your response to this blog post is appreciated and welcome. Thanks!